Sausage and Quinoa Stuffed Acorn Squash…
- 1/2 pound Italian turkey sausage, casing removed
- 2 Acorn Squash, halved and seeded
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 garlic glove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup apple, diced (I used gala)
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 cups of quinoa (you can use brown rice)
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Brush the inside of acorn halves with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil per half of squash.
- Sprinkle with a generous amount of salt and pepper and roast until squash is fork tender. About 50 minutes.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the sausage and brown. Add the onion, celery, garlic, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Cook for about 3 minutes, until the onion is tender.
- Remove the pan from heat and stir in rosemary and thyme. Once combined stir in the quinoa, apples, and dried cranberries. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide the mixture evenly into the roasted squash halves. Mix together parmesan cheese and panko bread crumbs. Top squash halves with mixture and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, or until top is golden brown.
- Serve hot and enjoy!!