This recipe has been in our family for years and it’s simply delicious!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 (46 oz.) can tomato juice
- 1 (26 oz.) can tomato soup
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomato with jalapeños
- 2 cans kidney beans, drained, rinsed (I used light and dark)
- 1 package chili spice
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add onions, green pepper, salt and pepper and cook until softened, about 7 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and cook until no longer pink, about 6 minutes.
- In a large pot (or crock pot), add ground beef mixture, tomato juice, tomato soup, tomato w/ jalapeños, kidney beans, chili spice, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with cornbread and toppings as desired (optional).