Glazed Vanilla Scones
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 sticks cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract (you can also use vanilla bean paste)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (you can also use vanilla bean paste)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with non stick cooking spray or a baking mat. Set aside.
- Place cold cubed butter in freezer for about 5 minutes (to make sure its very cold).
- In a stand mixer using the paddle attachment add flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix on low until combined.
- Add in cold butter and mix until crumbs are formed.
- In a separate medium bowl whisk together egg, milk and vanilla. Slowly pour into flour mixture and mix on low until just combined. Be careful not to over mix.
- Pour mixture onto a floured surface and kneed until a dough comes together. Gently shape into a circle about 1 inch thick. Take a butter knife or pastry cutter/dough divider and cut into 8 equal wedges.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 12-14 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
- Place on a cool rack to cool.
- Prepare glaze by mixing all ingredients together. Pour over scones while they are still warm.