Glazed Blueberry Lime Scones
The citrus in the scones adds the perfect combination with the blueberries!
- 2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 stick unsalted butter, frozen
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen (I used fresh)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 splash vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and lime zest.
- In a small bowl grate butter. Its very important to make sure the butter is frozen. Place the grated butter into the flour mixture and combine using a pastry cutter or a fork until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- In a small bowl whisk together heavy cream, egg and vanilla until combined. Slowly pour cream mixture into flour mixture and mix using a spatula until batter is moistened and just comes together. Be careful not to overwork the dough. Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Flour both hands and work the dough into a ball the best you can, then transfer to a floured surface. Create an 8 inch disc and cut into 8 equal wedges. Place on baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Sprinkle each scone with sugar, if desired.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly golden brown and cooked through. Remove and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- To make the glaze, add all glaze ingredients into a small bowl and mix until smooth. Drizzle glaze over scones and serve.